When gun violence and hate crimes erase innocent lives, when homophobia, racism, and islamophobia plague our world, we are reminded to come together, to grieve, and to re-dedicate ourselves to inclusivity and love, to non-violence and peace. Therefore, in conjunction with several San Mateo-area organizations and faith communities, we invite the entire San Mateo community to gather in response to the tragedy that took place at the Pulse nightclub in Orlando, FL to honor the lives that have been sacrificed, to mourn and share our grief, and to stand together in solace, solidarity, and strength.
What: Multi-faith, Multi-organization Candlelight Vigil
When: Wednesday, June 15th, 6:00 pm
Where: Congregational Church of San Mateo, 225 Tilton Avenue
The vigil will consist of a time of reflection, prayer, song, and silence to honor the grief and to commit ourselves to ending such tragedies. Candles will be provided; flowers are welcome.
Sponsoring organizations include:
· Peninsula Metropolitan Community Church
· Pacifica Institute
· Unitarian Universalists San Mateo
· San Mateo County PRIDE Initiative
· San Diego County Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence
· The Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of Redwood City
· Peninsula Multifaith Coalition
· Faith In Action Bay Area
· Congregational Church of San Mateo United Church of Christ
We send our love and compassion to the families and friends who have been personally impacted by this tragedy and invite all people of good will to join together in peace and solidarity.